Monday, December 2, 2013

Number Recognition & 1:1 Correspondence

As a kindergarten teacher, I spend a lot of the school year teaching numbers 1-20, more than/less than, ordering numbers smallest to largest and 1:1 correspondence.

I can't tell you how many parents would say, "My kid can already count past 10!"
Counting to ten is very different than being able to recognize numbers that aren't in order and being able to represent a given number using objects (1:1 correspondence).
Thanks to many of our picture books we read, and our favorite Leap Frog, Little C loves to count - everything! Yesterday she even wanted to count the sprinkles she was putting on our sugar cookies. Since nothing else was on our agenda for the day, that is exactly what we did.



I came up with this activity and it is quite the hit. It practices everything I mentioned above, as well as classifying colors and fine motor skills.

Once she got good at placing the color poms on the coordinating colored circles, I gave her tongs and she used them to transfer the color poms onto the felt. I love to hear her singing the LeapFrog Numberland songs as she works... such a fun mommy moment.



I made this set out of felt. Make one yourself or you can purchase a set through my Etsy store.

No comments:

Post a Comment